Important for Electric Car Owners: Electric Vehicle Public Charging Station (SPKLU)
To support the use of electric vehicles in Indonesia, the government, through the State Electricity Company (PLN) has built more than 150 SPKLUs available throughout Indonesia. The goal is to make it easier for electric vehicle owners to recharge their batteries.
The government is currently encouraging the development of electric vehicles. So that people are interested in switching from conventional vehicles to electric vehicles, the government has issued several policies that are beneficial for electric vehicle owners. One example is the regulation to give free motor vehicle tax fees for electric vehicles.
To support this program, the government has also built many SPKLUs. Then what exactly is SPKLU, and how is it different from SPLU? Read below to find more.
SPKLU stands for Stasiun Pengisian Kendaraan Listrik Umum (Re: Public Electric Vehicle Charging Station). As the name suggests, the PLN SPKLU functions to recharge the battery of electric vehicles that can be used by all Indonesian people who have electric vehicles to support their mobility.
SPKLU provides several plug sockets that can be adapted to the needs of electric vehicles. In Indonesia, electric vehicles generally have three types of electrical plug sockets, including AC charging, DC charging CHAdeMo and DC charging Combo type CCS2.
It takes 30-90 minutes to charge an electric vehicle battery at SPKLU on average until the battery is full. The length of this recharging time depends on the battery capacity and the type of electric vehicle used.
Difference between SPKLU and SPLU
In general, SPKLU and SPLU have the same function, which is both used for charging. Both were also built by the State Electricity Company (PLN) to encourage the development of electric vehicles.
SPLU stands for Stasiun Pengisian Listrik Umum (Re: General Electric Charging Station). The SPLU consists of four models, namely standing/tower, hang/wall mount, hook/pole mount and stall/pedestal. The average SPLU has a power between 5.5 kva to 22 kva. SPLU is usually used to charge batteries in electric motors.
As for the SPKLU in Indonesia, it has a power of 22 kW to 150 kw. The power is adjusted to its use which is specifically for electric vehicles. SPKLU locations are also in locations based on market needs, such as malls, PLN offices, parking lots, and government offices.
SPLU and SPKLU are both charging stations for electric vehicle batteries. However, SPLU can be used for many needs, from charging motorcycle batteries to the needs of street vendors. In comparison, the SPKLU is devoted to charging electric vehicle batteries.
SPKLU locations in Indonesia
To encourage the growth of electric vehicles in Indonesia, PLN has built more than 150 electric vehicle charging stations spread throughout Indonesia. The following is a list of SPKLUs in several big cities in Indonesia that you need to know:
Jakarta is a city that has the most SPKLU points in Indonesia. In total, there are 63 SPKLU locations spread across several companies as follows:
- Bluebird, 1 point location with 15 SPKLU units
- PLN UID Jaya, 6 location points with 9 SPKLU units
- Pertamina, 6 location points with 7 SPKLU units
- PLN UID West Java, 2 location points with 2 SPKLU units
- BPPT-LEN, 1 point location with 1 SPKLU unit
- Jakarta – Surabaya toll road, 2 location points with 2 SPKLU units
- PLN UID Banten, 3 location points with 6 SPKLU units
- BPPT, 1 location point with 1 SPKLU unit
- Angkasa Pura II, 1 location point with 1 SPKLU unit
- BCA, 1 point location with 1 SPKLU unit
Central Java and DI Yogyakarta
- Jakarta-Surabaya toll road, 4 location points with SPKLU units
- PLN UIN Central Java-DIY, 1 location point with 2 SPKLU units
- PLN UP3 East Java, 3 location points with 3 SPKLU units
- PLN UID East Java, 1 location point with 1 SPKLU unit
- PJB, 1 location point with 2 SKPLU units
Bali and Nusa Tenggara
- PLN UIW NTB, 2 location points with 2 SPKLU units
- PLN UID Bali, 1 point location with 3 SPKLU units
- PLN Jasa Marga Bali, 1 location point with 3 SPKLU units
- Gor Jakabaring, 1 location point with 1 SPKLU unit
- Bakauheni-Terbanggu Kayu Agung Rest Area KM 20B, 1 point location with 1 SPKLU unit
- PLN UIW S2JB, 1 point location with 1 SPKLU unit
- PLN UIW Suluttenggo, 1 point location with 1 SPKLU unit
- Pln Mattoangin, 1 location point with 1 SPKLU unit
To encourage the development of electric vehicles in Indonesia, PLN is currently working with the private sector. One of them is that PLN has signed a cooperation agreement with KFC Indonesia to accommodate PLN's SPKLU at outlets owned by the fried chicken company. The government believes that this collaboration will have a significant impact on efforts to reduce carbon emissions.
Many vehicle manufacturers have released the latest electric vehicles with various advanced features that benefit their users. One example is the Wuling EV, the latest mini electric car that composes an iconic future-tech design.
It is undeniable that electric vehicles are more environmentally friendly because they have minimal carbon emissions. In addition, the use of electric vehicles can also save the use of fuel, which is currently running low. With the government's encouragement to build SPKLU in all regions of Indonesia, it is hoped that people will soon be able to switch from conventional vehicles to electric vehicles that are more environmentally friendly.