- View More Tag
The Right Way to Warm Up Automatic and Manual Cars
31 March, 2023
Warming up the car before driving is an important thing to do. Although sometimes neglected by some drivers, warming up the car's engine before use can help improve performance and engine life.
In addition, warming up the car engine before driving is very important to maintain engine performance and increase fuel efficiency. However, not everyone knows how to do it, especially in automatic cars and manual cars. Therefore, this article will discuss in depth how to warm up automatic and manual cars correctly and why car engines must be heated.
Why Is It Necessary to Warm Up the Car?
Warming up the car engine before use can help improve engine performance and car age. The following are some reasons why heating the car is very important:
- When a car engine is heated, the oil in the engine becomes more watery and can lubricate the engine better. This is very important to prevent wear and tear on the car engine.
- Cold temperatures can cause your engine parts to shrink.
- Warming up the car also lets your windshield heater clear snow and ice.
- Heating a car engine before driving can improve fuel efficiency. This is because when the engine is cold, the engine requires more fuel to reach the ideal working temperature. By preheating the car engine, fuel use can be reduced.
- The engine temperature can rise to the ideal working temperature by heating the car engine before driving. The ideal working temperature is very important to maintain the performance of a car engine and prevent damage to the engine.
How Long and How Often to Warm Up the Car?
You don't need to take too long, because it will only waste fuel and pollute the environment. Then, how long is the right time? As reported by Consumer Reports, just warm it up for 30 seconds to one minute before driving. There is no set rule for how many times a week you should warm up your car. This depends on how often you use your car and how cold it is in your area. The less you use your car and the colder it is where you live, the more often you will need to warm up your car.
For example, if you live in a tropical area and use your car every day, you may only need to do this once or twice a week. However, if you live in an area with snow and only use your car once or twice a week, you may need to do this each time before driving. The most important thing is always to regularly check the condition of your car's engine and oil to prevent unnecessary damage.
What Are the Signs When the Car Is Warmed?
There are several ways to tell if your car is hot enough:
- Look at the engine temperature indicator on the car dashboard. The engine has reached its optimum temperature if the needle is centered or slightly above centered.
- Feel the air coming out of the cabin heater. If the air is warm and comfortable, the engine is hot enough.
- Use a tool such as the Hot Car Calculator to calculate how long it will take for your car to reach a specific temperature based on the outside temperature and the type of car you have.
However, remember that the engine will warm up faster if you drive slower than idling. Therefore, driving carefully for 5-10 minutes is recommended if you live in a very cold place.
How to Warm Up a Car
How to heat automatic and manual cars is quite simple. However, several things need to be considered so that the car engine can be adequately heated.
How to Warm Up a Manual Car
- Check engine and oil condition.
- Before heating the car engine, ensure the engine and oil are in good condition. Check the engine oil level and make sure there are no engine leaks.
- Start the engine.
- After that, start the car engine and let the engine run for 3-5 minutes. During this time, make sure the car is idle.
- Check the engine temperature indicator.
- Check the engine temperature indicator on the car dashboard.
- If the engine temperature indicator has reached the ideal working temperature, the car engine is ready to use.
How to Warm up a Matic Car
- Make sure the car is in a safe place
- Check engine and oil condition.
- Like heating a manual car engine, ensure the engine and oil conditions are in good condition before heating the automatic car engine.
- Press the brake and start the engine.
- When warming up the automatic car engine, ensure the car is in the park position and the brakes are pressed.
- After that, start the car engine and let the engine run for 3-5 minutes.
- Shift the gear lever to position D or R.
- You can start driving and turn on your air, which should be warm by then.
You can also use a tool such as a remote control to warm up your car remotely or before you start it. There isn't a big difference between putting the car in park or neutral to warm up the transmission fluid (ATF) for automatic transmissions.
Important Things When Warming Up Your Car
After understanding why you need to warm up your car and how to do it, there are some additional tips you can do to maximize the car's heating process. Here are some tips to consider:
1. Don't Let the Car Engine on Idle Too Long
Even though the engine must be warmed up before use, do not let the car engine idle for too long because it can result in a waste of fuel and worsen the air quality around the car. Ideally, the machine should only need to be warmed up for a few minutes before use.
2. Avoid Stepping on Gas Too Hard When Warming Up Engine
Stepping on the gas too hard when warming up the engine can speed up the warm-up process, but it can also speed up engine damage and reduce the car's life. Instead, use the throttle slowly and check the engine temperature regularly.
3. Pay Attention To the Condition of Engine and Cooling System
Ensure the car's engine and cooling system are in good condition before heating it. If there is a problem with the cooling system or engine, you should fix it before heating the car.
4. Pay Attention to the Surroundings
Do not heat the car in a closed room because it can endanger health due to pollution and carbon monoxide produced by cars. In addition, make sure the car is heated in a safe place and does not disturb the surrounding environment.
By paying attention to the tips above, car heating can be safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly. In addition, the tips above are also one way to care for the engine and keep the car functioning properly. One car that has a relatively reliable and powerful engine is the Almaz RS.
This smart vehicle is equipped with a smooth and powerful transmission that makes this car able to provide good performance. By heating the car properly and taking care of the car engine regularly, the performance of this SUV will work more optimally.
- View More Tag