The Advanced Dedicated Hybrid Transmission Technology in Hybrid Cars
DHT (Dedicated Hybrid Transmission) technology is one of the latest innovations in the automotive world that offers solutions to address current environmental and economic challenges. This technology allows cars to use two power sources at once: a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Thus, the car can reduce fuel consumption, exhaust emissions, and operational costs.
In addition, this technology also provides more optimal and responsive performance because it can share power quickly and without delay between the two resources. This technology has even been implemented by several car manufacturers in the world. How does DHT technology work and what are the benefits of using it? Check out the full review in this article.
Introduction of Dedicated Hybrid Transmission (DHT)
DHT is a system that combines a gasoline engine and an electric motor and an electric battery, with an electromagnetic gearbox. This hybrid technology enables quick and efficient sharing of power with no lag between the two energy sources.
The way DHT works is by dividing power quickly without delay between three hybrid modes, namely EV Mode, Series Hybrid and Hybrid Parallel. With DHT, hybrid car can have better performance, higher fuel efficiency, and lower exhaust emissions compared to conventional cars.
How DHT Technology Works
As already explained, this transmission has an intelligent power switch that can adjust the three hybrid modes automatically according to road conditions and the driver's needs. The three modes are:
- EV Mode: this mode only uses the electric motor as the main power source. This mode is suitable for urban driving at low speed and short distances. This mode can save fuel up to 100% and produce zero emissions.
- Series Hybrid: this mode uses a gasoline engine to drive a generator which will charge the battery and power the electric motor. This mode is suitable for driving on an uphill road or during acceleration. This mode can improve car performance without sacrificing efficiency.
- Hybrid Parallel: this mode uses a gasoline engine and an electric motor simultaneously to provide maximum power to the wheels. This mode is suitable for driving on the highway at high speed or when overtaking. This mode can provide fast and smooth response.
In addition, the DHT transmission also has a reduction gear which can increase the efficiency and performance of the car by adjusting the gear ratio according to the engine speed and car speed.
Advantages of DHT Technology
DHT technology has many advantages for car users, including:
- Reduce fuel consumption. DHT technology can make cars more fuel efficient because they can choose the hybrid mode that best suits driving conditions.
- Reducing gas emissions. DHT technology can make cars more environmentally friendly because they can reduce gas emissions that are harmful to human health and the planet.
- Reduce operational costs. This technology can make cars cheaper in terms of maintenance because they do not require additional components such as clutches or torque converters that are usually found in conventional transmissions. In addition, DHT technology does not require transmission oil because it uses a water cooling system.
- Improve performance. Making the car more powerful and responsive because it can divide power quickly and without pause between the gasoline engine and the electric motor. In addition, DHT technology also has a reduction gear that can increase the efficiency and performance of the car.
However, this technology also has some drawbacks, namely:
- The price of a hybrid car that uses DHT is more expensive than a conventional car.
- Maintenance of hybrid cars that use DHT is more complicated and requires trained professionals.
- The availability of spare parts and authorized repair shops for hybrid cars that use DHT is still limited in Indonesia.
The Difference Between DHT and Other Hybrid Transmissions
The DHT is a different transmission than other hybrid transmissions because:
- DHT uses an electromagnetic gearbox which is simpler and lighter than other hybrid transmissions that use two gearboxes or pulleys and chains.
- DHT can split power quickly without delay between three hybrid modes: EV Mode, Series Hybrid, and Hybrid Parallel. Other hybrid transmissions usually only have two hybrid modes: EV Mode and Hybrid Parallel.
- DHT can improve performance, fuel efficiency, and reduce gas emissions of hybrid cars better than other hybrid transmissions.
Cars with DHT Technology
Driving a car with DHT technology gives its own satisfaction, such as the Wuling Almaz Hybrid car. This 7-seater SUV has a 2,000 cc petrol engine and an electric motor connected to a DHT transmission. The transmission has an intelligent power switch that can automatically set three hybrid modes on this car, namely EV Mode (only uses an electric motor), Series Hybrid (gasoline engine drives a generator to charge the battery and electric motor), and Hybrid Parallel (gasoline engine and electric motor work together). That way, the speed of driving feels smoother, less emissions and pollution.