How to Thoroughly Clean Your Car Cabin to Make it Virus-Free
2 April, 2020
Amid the COVID-19 outbreak all over the world, including Indonesia, some precautions must be taken. Washing hands with soap and running water as well as wearing masks when going outside the home are necessary to prevent the virus contraction. Despite that, It is also important to thoroughly clean cars’ cabins to help prevent the spread of viruses.
Generally, you can use disinfectant solutions made of hydrogen peroxide, creosote, or 70% pure alcohol to kill viruses and bacteria. However, you must be careful not to use these liquids too much and too often on several materials as they can do more harm than good. Likewise, although bleach and hydrogen peroxide are effective in killing viruses, using them too often can damage the coatings of cars instead.
Ammonia is also another substance that can clean stubborn stains. However, the use of ammonia is not recommended for a touch screen since it can damage the sensitive layer.
Some liquids claimed to be able to clean cars’ cabins, but it’s always a good idea to try applying them first on unused items before using them in your car. If you want to use any solution that contains alcohol, be sure to test first whether the solution causes dry skin.
To clean the interior of your car, it has recommended using liquid soap with low pH (potential hydrogen), for instance, baby soap. Also, clean the cabin gently, especially on materials that are prone to damage or discoloration. When you cleaning this, do not put too much pressure.
When is the right time to clean the car’s cabin? It has strongly advised cleaning your car right after arriving at home (before entering the house). Clean the car cabin directly using any above-mentioned liquid. Cleaning the car can also be done before traveling, thus avoiding germs or bacteria that may cling to the driver or passengers.
Furthermore, there are a couple of steps to follow in order to maintain the cleanliness of your beloved car;
- Provide a small, closeable mini bin. When the can is full upon arriving at your destination, dispose of the trash immediately.
- Prepare wet tissue to clean stains in the car cabin. Wet tissues are quite practical, especially when compared to using a wet cloth.
- Clean your footwear. Before entering the car cabin, you must clean your footwear, either shoes or sandals. This is to avoid any dirt that clings to the footwear from the streets outside into the cabin. We never know if there were a lot of bacteria and germs attached, right?
- Make sure you don’t leave any luggage in the cabin for a long period. This way can prevent dirt and bacteria from potentially sticking to your car’s seat.
- Use air freshener to make the cabin fresher and more comfortable after cleaning. You can choose from various natural ingredients, such as the scents of coffee, soda, or pandan leaves.